Frequently Asked Questions
Courses And Accreditations
- What are the courses offered at the school?
At the moment, we offer three courses that cover three different levels of yoga practice. These are:
- 100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training (Multi-style) – A two-weeks program, this is a beginners’ course was those who, due to time limitations, are unable to complete a 200-hour course.
- 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training (Multi-style) – A complete 200-hour yoga teacher training program, this four-weeks intensive course is a Yoga Alliance approved yoga training that gives you an opportunity to get a professional level of practice to start teaching yoga.
- 300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training (Multi-style) – An advanced level of yoga teacher training, the completion of this 300-hour training qualifies you to earn a RYT 500 degree to teach yoga professionally all over the world. It is important to complete a 200-hour training before doing the 300-hour.
- Which subjects are covered in the teacher training program?
At Goa Yogashala, we cover a variety of traditional yoga forms along with several yoga-related practices in our courses. Some of these include:
- Asanas – We cover traditional Hatha, Ashtanga Vinyasa, Dynamic Vinyasa Flow, Yin Yoga, as well as Mysore-style practice.
- Meditation – Difference types and techniques of meditation, such as yoga nidra and relaxation meditation will be covered during the training.
- Pranayama – Breath control is one of the primary aspects of yoga. To make the most out of your asana practice, it is important to master breathing techniques under the guidance of our yoga teachers.
- Anatomy and Physiology – To prevent injuries and to work as a professional yoga teacher, it is important to learn about the human anatomy and physiology along with your yoga practice.
- Philosophy – During the philosophy classes, you will learn about the origin and history of yoga. You will also be familiarised with the various definitions of yoga from several schools of thought.
- Mudras and Bandhas – These aspects focus majorly on the deep veins, muscles and other hidden energy sources in your body. Learning about these and activating these using various mantras is highly critical and beneficial to your yoga teacher training.
- Do I need prior training before attending these courses?
Our teacher training programs are designed to cater to all levels of practitioners. However, we recommend that you have at least six months of regular yoga practice before you start with an intensive teacher training course.
- 100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training (Multi-style) – All levels are welcome, including beginners.
- 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training (Multi-style) – All levels are welcome, including beginners.
- 300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training (Multi-style) – Must have a 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training Certificate from a Yoga Alliance accredited yoga school.
- Do I need to study anything before signing up for the course?
No. You do not need to have a formal training in anything before you sign up for our 100-hour or 200-hour program. However, prior knowledge of meditation or pranayama may help in better understanding and implementation. It isn’t compulsory though. You are only required to have a 200-hour YTTC certification if you are applying for a 300-hour Multistyle Yoga Teacher Training course.
- Is there a best time to apply for the course?
Our courses are held every year from October to March (see schedule and fee for specific details). At Goa Yogashala, we believe that there is no right and wrong time to start yoga. It should be started whenever you feel you are ready to make the commitment. However, once you commit yourself to the study and practice of yoga, you must do it with all your dedication and heart.
- What certification do I receive after completion of the course?
All our participants receive a “Certificate of Completion” upon successfully completing a 200-hour or 300-hour course. Students of 100-hour YTTC receive a ‘Certificate of Participation’ after finishing the course and a ‘Certificate of Completion’ after they complete the rest two weeks of their training. The “Certificate of Completion’ can then be used to register online with Yoga Alliance for a Yoga Alliance Accreditation.
Please keep in mind that the certification is awarded based on several factors – attendance and performance being the two primary ones. It is the sole discretion of Goa Yogashala to cancel an application if a student fails to comply with the terms and conditions.
- What sort of accreditation does the school have?
Goa Yogashala is a Yoga Alliance approved Yoga Teacher Training school in Goa which is considered to be one of the best in the country. With teachers from all around the globe and a curriculum based on the ancient teachings of yoga and its related disciplines, the school aims at offering you the most authentic teacher training experience.
- Are the teachers well-qualified to teach the classes? What sort of certification do they have?
At Goa Yogashala, we lay a lot of emphasis on the teacher-student relationship. We believe that only a devoted teacher can create a devoted yogi out of a student. And, hence, all our national and international teachers have dedicated their lives to the wisdom and cause of yogic studies.
With a progressive and dynamic approach, our best yoga teachers take you on a journey of ancient yogic learning. Our team of yoga teachers has not only spent years mastering the various aspects of yoga but they are also known to have international recognition for their expertise and spiritual guidance.
All our yoga teachers have been accredited by Yoga Alliance and come with years of experience teaching students from all around the world.
- Will we have the same teachers for all our courses?
All our teachers at Goa Yogashala stay in and around the campus and are available to assist the students at all times. Almost every one of them has an expertise on more than one aspect of yoga. This gives them the flexibility and dynamic personality that a yoga teacher must have. Though we try our best to keep the same teachers for individual subjects throughout all or courses, we may have to reshuffle at certain times due to change in plans or personal commitments of the teachers.
- What is the average class size for the courses?
At Goa Yogashala, our teachers aim at offering individual attention to every participant so they can master every aspect of their training. Thus, we keep our batch sized compact and personal. While we keep only 20-25 students per batch for our asana practice classes, theory classes may have more students depending on the topic and the teacher’s discretion.
Registration, Payment, Refunds And Cancellations
- How can I apply to the course?
Applying for our courses is extremely easy. There are multiple ways you can apply for the course:
- Fill in the application form on the website and send it to us with all the required details (preferred)
- Send us an email at email@example.com with a cover letter and details such as name, prior experience, course you are looking for, and approximate start date (preferred)
- Write to us on our Facebook page
- Contact us directly via phone at +919008625018 or +9190197 37212
- How do I pay the balance fee? What currencies do you accept?
You can either pay the balance fee in cash upon your arrival at the school or you can make an online transfer one week before you arrive here. If you wish to pay the remaining fee in cash, we accept INR, USD, EUR, and British Pounds. Due to certain restrictions, we are unable to accept any other form of currency. However, there are several currency exchanges around the school for you to exchange money and pay the remaining fee.
Also, please not that Goa Yogashala will not pay for any transaction fee incurred by the student during the currency exchange.
- Can I pay online? If yes, what are the different modes of online payment?
Yes. You can pay online via bank transfer or PayPal. Please note that you need to submit the remaining fee one week prior of your course start date. Kindly let us know if you wish to pay online so we can provide you with the necessary account details.
Additionally, please bear in mind that Goa Yogashala is not responsible for any bank or PayPal transaction and any such fee must be borne by the participant.
- Do I have to pay the entire balance at once or can I pay in instalments?
We hope you understand that to organize a teacher training program, there are a number of organizational and operational costs that the school has to incur. This is why, we insist all our students to pay the remaining amount before the course begins.
However, we also understand that there may be certain unavoidable circumstances that prevent you from doing so. In such cases, we allow the students to pay the fee in two instalments. But, please note that these instalments MUST be paid within the first two weeks of your training program (not applicable to 100-hour Multistyle yoga teacher training program).
- What is included in the course fee?
Depending on the package you select, your course fee includes:
- Registration Fee
- Program Fee
- Study Material with necessary stationary
- Yoga Kit with complimentary T-shirt and stainless-steel water bottle
- Accommodation in a clean and spacious room
- Three nutritious and healthy satvik meals per day from Monday till Saturday Lunch
- Two herbal Tea daily and unlimited filtered drinking water
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Complimentary pick and drop from airport/railway station
- Complimentary excursion during the course
For more details, please see our Schedule and Fee page.
- Is there a discount/concession that I can get while registering for the program?
Yes. All students are eligible for a 10% discount on the remaining fee if they secure their spot in the course three months prior to the training start date.
- My friends and I are planning to join the course together. Can we get a group discount?
Yes. All participants are eligible for a 10% discount on advance booking of three months prior to the course start date. However, in case of two or more people joining in a group, we can offer extra concessions (on the sole discretion of the management). We cannot commit to a certain percentage at the moment as these bookings are case-specific. Hence, we request you to write to us explaining the situation so we can consider your request.
- Due to certain unavoidable circumstances, I am unable to join the course at the given time. How do I get a refund?
Unfortunately, we do not have a refund policy once a participant books their spot by paying the registration fee. However, they can postpone their joining date to anytime within a year of their initial application.
We agree that it may be not be the answer you desire; however, we hope that you understand that the school has to pay a lot of organizational and operational fees in order to smoothly set and run a teacher training program. Most of these fees are paid in advance by the school. Hence, it is extremely inconvenient for the school to change plans and issue refund if a student cancels post reserving their spot. For more information, please read our Terms and Conditions.
- Can I transfer my membership to my best friend?
No. Unfortunately, applications are non-refundable, non-transferrable, and non-cancellable. For more information, please read our Terms and Conditions.
- My travel plans have changed. Can I postpone my course date?
Yes. We understand that our plans can be affected by a number of unexpected events and unavoidable circumstances. Therefore, we allow all our students the flexibility to postpone their course start date to anytime within one year of their initial application. However, we do request you to keep in mind that your application will be considered on a first-come-first-serve basis and we can only allow your application for the scheduled training months. For more information, please read our Schedule and Fee page.
- What happens to my payment if the school cancels the course?
Although it is highly unlikely for us to change the venue or cancel a course once it has been confirmed, we cannot predict unforeseen circumstances such as natural calamities, endemics, and the likes. In these cases, the school reserves the right to make last-minute changes as and when we deem fit.
If a training program has been cancelled by Goa Yogshala, the school will offer a 100% refund to the applicants or an alternative option. You may decide to accept the refund or avail the alternative.
Please note – Goa Yogashala does not hold responsibility towards cancellations of flights or any such expenses incurred by the applicant.
Food, Accommodation, And Location
- Where is the school located?
A short distance from the main road and not too far from the untouched, swimmable waters of the Agonda beach in South Goa, Goa Yogashala invites you to spend a life-transforming time surrounded by mountains, plants and flowers, and of course, the sea. Goa is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country and is visited by hundreds and thousands of visitors each year. While North Goa is known as the party central of India, South Goa is more popular among those who come here looking for peace, tranquillity and a different way of life.
- Do you have any other branches?
No. As of yet, we only have a dedicated campus in South Goa. However, we may plan on extending it in the upcoming years if the situation arises.
- What are the various accommodation options available at the school?
We understand that different participants may have different expectations and requirements for their accommodation during the period of the training. This is why, we offer you multiple accommodation options. Also, you can choose to either share a room with another student or book a private room. Please note, some of our rooms are located in a guesthouse that is only a few steps away from the main campus.
- On-campus double room (non-AC)
- On-campus double room with kitchen (non-AC)
- Off-campus Deluxe double room (AC)
- Off-campus beach view cottages (non-AC)
- What facilities can I expect in the room?
Though we understand that everybody appreciates the little luxuries in life, we like to follow the philosophies of yogic living meaning that we try to maintain a simplistic middle-way of life. Hence, we offer you with all the basic necessities such as hot/cold shower, Wi-Fi, weekly housekeeping, western-style attached bathroom, as well as AC and outside seating space in specific rooms.
- Can I invite friends over to come stay with me in my room?
We understand that a month is a long time to stay disconnected from your friends and loved ones. This is why, we don’t mind if you wish to invite your friends over at the school or in your room for a limited number of hours in a day and during specific times. However, we strongly advise that you inform us in advance and gain necessary approval for such occasions. Also, you must stick to the school’s ethical values and discipline at all times.
- Can I come before or leave after a few days from the course beginning/completion?
Yes. You may arrive a couple of days before or leave a couple of days after the course starts or ends. However, we urge you to let us know in advance of any such special requests so the arrangements can be made. Also, please keep in mind that we need to clean and prep the rooms before the beginning of the next batch. Thus, staying for more than a couple of days may not be possible unless you participate in additional courses/volunteer activities at the school.
- How many meals and what kind of food is available to me during the program?
Every student is provided three meals throughout their program – Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Every meal prepared at the school is made out of fresh vegetables and food items. To ensure proper health and digestion, we only prepare pure satvik, vegetarian meals for all our students.
Kindly note that all meals are available from Monday breakfast to Saturday Lunch. Due to weekend holidays, our kitchen staff isn’t available to cook Saturday dinner and Sunday all day.
- Do you also offer non-vegetarian options?
No. To keep up with yoga’s ‘non-violence’ and ‘satvik’ principles, we only offer vegetarian food items for all our meals. Though there are several cafes and restaurants around the school, we recommend that you abstain from indulging into any non-vegetarian dishes, at least during the course of your training.
- I am a vegan/I have special dietary requirements. What can I eat?
At Goa Yogashala, we offer vegan, gluten-free option for students who cannot consume normal food cooked at the school. For special dietary requirements, please notify in advance so special arrangements can be made to cater to your request.
- What are your rules for smoking/drinking/drugs/coming late?
Indulging in smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages, and drugs is strictly prohibited within the school premises. We also have strong policies for participants being present within the campus under such influences. Anybody caught doing so will be expelled from the program immediately, with no refund and certification. Additionally, as you will be a part of a detoxification and healing program, we strong advise you to not indulge in any such activities outside the school premises (see terms and conditions for all our policies).
While the school gate closes for everyone at 10:00 PM, any special requests need to be brought to the administrations’ notice and must be pre-approved by us.
Travel And Safety
- Which airport in India should I arrive at?
There are multiple international airports in the country. Depending on where you are coming from, you can take a flight to Dabolim Airport which is only 60 kilometres from the school.
Alternatively, you can also arrive at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (Mumbai) which is connected to all major countries in the west. Mumbai is easily connected to Goa via railway, air, and buses.
- I will be travelling within India before joining the course. Can I take a train to come to the school? Which train station should I book my ticket to?
Yes. You can definitely take the train to reach South Goa. The nearest railhead, Margao Railway Station, in only 36 kilometres away. It takes roughly an hour to reach the school from the railway station. Margao is connected to all the major cities in the country. If you are arriving in North Goa, you can also take a train to Thivim railway station.
- Will I get transportation to and from the school?
Yes. We offer complimentary pick and drop from Dabolim Airport as well as Margao Railway Station. Please notify us of your arrival and departure details as soon as you book your tickets.
If you are arriving at a different airport or railway station, we may or may not be able to arrange complimentary transportation depending on the distance to/from the school.
Please note that if you are travelling around the city before or after the course, we would not be able to cater to your transportation requests from anywhere else in the city. Our complimentary transportation is applicable only to/from the school.
- What if I do not land in Dabolim Airport? Is there any alternative way to reach the school?
Dabolim is the only commercial airport within Goa. However, depending on your origin of flight, you may also choose to arrive at Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, or any other international airport. Most cities in India are connected to Goa via railway as well as road transportation such as buses and taxis. Please let us know the destination of your arrival in India so we can suggest you the best possible route to reach the school.
- Do I need a visa to attend your course?
Yes. All our students require a visa to attend the course, unless your country allows visa on arrival for India. Please check your visa requirements with the embassy in advance.
- What sort of visa do I need for attending the Yoga Teacher Training?
You do not need a student visa for the course. A tourist visa with at least a month (30-days) validity is sufficient for the course. However, if you plan on staying longer, please ensure that your visa validity covers the number of days you plan on residing in the country.
- What is the best suitable time to arrive at the station/airport?
We understand that our students arrive at the school from different corners of the world and the time of their flight connectivity in not in their control. This is why, we offer airport pick and drop round-the-clock. Though we do the same for students arriving via train, we suggest that you try to take a train that arrives during the day.
- Is it safe to travel within Goa?
Goa is one of the most developed and frequently visited states in India. The people here are known for their hospitable and welcoming nature. It is extremely safe to travel within Goa; however, you must also keep in mind that the state is visited by different kinds of people from all around the world. And, as much as we would like to ensure everyone’s safety, the presence of anti-social or harmful people is beyond anyone’s control. This is why, we urge you to also be extra careful of where you go, who you mix with, and what you indulge in. Additionally, please DO NOT:
- Stay out too late into the night
- Mix with strangers unless you know you can absolutely trust them
- Go out to unknown places on your own or with people you do not/cannot trust
- Refrain from accepting any intoxicating substance
- Refrain from being under the effect of alcohol or drugs
- Indulge in an argument or brawl with anybody in and outside the school, including locals
- Wear or carry a lot of cash or valuables with you when going out
- Can the school arrange transportation if I wanted to travel around the city?
Yes. Our staff would be happy to help you arrange taxis if you wanted to explore the city. Alternatively, there are several tour companies and travel agencies that can offer you many sightseeing tours in and around the area at reasonable prices. Please keep in mind that these tours are to be paid by the students. Also, the school does not have any say in the tariffs charged by these businesses and can only help in bargaining a little, but the final decision is theirs.
- Are there any bike/scooter rental services near the school?
Yes. Bikes and scooters are one of the most popular way of commuting within Goa. Their ae several bike and scooter rental services near the school. However, we encourage you rent a bike/scooter only if you have prior experience driving one. Also, note that India observes left-hand driving. Please wear your helmet, carry your driving license, and follow all traffic rules at all times.
- Are there any nice places to visit around the city?
There are several sightseeing spots located in and around the city. Our school is located in Agonda which is known to be one of the most famous beaches in Goa. Just adjacent is Palolem beach which is known for its vibrant nightlife as well as plenty of street markets, food stalls, and other beachside activities. Other popular places to visit in South Goa include but aren’t limited to Cabo da Rama (ruins of an 18-th century Portuguese fort), Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and Mollem National Park, Galgibaga Beach (also known as Turtle beach for its extensive turtle habitat), Dudhsagar Falls (600-meter high waterfalls and one of the top sites in the country), and Salaulim Dam.
- Are there any currency exchanges/ATMs in the school?
Yes. There are several currency exchanges and ATMs near the school. Please feel free to ask our staff to guide you with the nearest ATM and the exchange with the best rates.
- Are there cafes/restaurants around the school?
Yes. There are numerous cafes and restaurants around the school. Most of these eateries also serve nutritious and delicious vegetarian and vegan menu options. Agonda and Palolem are both known for their extensive line of local as well as western food joints.
- Are there any medical facilities near the school?
Yes. There are many clinics and hospitals near the school. However, we suggest that you notify the school management if you require to visit a specialist as we can suggest you the best place to go depending on your injury/ailment. If there is a serious condition, we can also help in taking you to the nearest medical facility.
- Is there any courier service around if I require to send/receive anything from a different country?
Yes. There are courier services such as DHL and FedEx (and more) available around the campus. Please ask our school staff to help you with the same.
- Are there any fruits/vegetables/grocery shops near the school if I wanted to buy certain things for myself?
Yes. There are several grocery stores and fruits and vegetable vendors around the area for you to buy any additional items you may require during your stay with us.
- Do I need to carry any medicines with me?
The pharmacies in Agonda are well-stocked with all the essential and regular medicines one may need such as for common cold and flu, indigestion, body ache, headache, and more. However, we suggest that you carry any prescribed/special medication that you may require as you may or may not be able to find the exact brand here.
- Should I carry mosquito repellents with me?
Our school is located on the beachside of Agonda, South Goa. South Goa enjoys a tropical climate throughout the year, meaning that it is not uncommon to have mosquitoes around the area, especially during monsoon season and humid days. That’s why we suggest you to carry a mosquito repellent. However, you could also buy it at one of the pharmacies or general stores here. If you have a sensitive skin, you can also get herbal/natural mosquito repellent here.
- Do I require any vaccination to come to India?
Yes. Getting yourself vaccinated for common diseases such as malaria, typhoid, Hepatitis and Japanese Encephalitis is a good idea. So, we advise the same. However, please note that Goa does not fall under the high alert zone when it comes to Malaria or Japanese Encephalitis. Additionally, we suggest that you consult your local physician before coming to India regarding the same.
- Is the area susceptible to any diseases?
No. Proper garbage disposal and waste disposal systems ensure that the area is free from germs and diseases. Also, sometimes as part of our Karma yoga initiatives, we conduct thorough cleaning of the entire neighbourhood so as to keep the surrounding areas clean and hygienic.